Monday, February 21, 2011

Disastrous Sunday

Sunday was a bit of a disaster. First of all the thunder and rain woke up Finn and Olivia in the middle of the night, twice. Thank goodness we all slept in in the morning. Finn was still snoring at 8:30am, which is unheard of. Olivia and I thought maybe it was a snoring bear. We giggled.

Church was an adventure. Ezra was at work so I would be substitute teaching his sunbeam class. First of all Finn did not nap all morning. I was hoping he would fall asleep in the van on the way to church but he didn’t. As we were going in I realized I forgot the diaper bag and the teacher bag with manual and props and crayons. So I decided to go ahead on in for the sacrament portion. Then we skipped out early to race home to grab the bags and be back in time to help Grace give her talk at the beginning of primary. Finn and Olivia both fell asleep on the drive. So I left Jonah to watch over the 2 sleepers in the van while I went in to help Grace. She did a great job speaking clearly, looking out into the audience, smiling. Her talk was on the plan of salvation and in it she said the words to "I am a Child of God." So now that was over, I came back to the van, woke up the sleeping children, sent Jonah off to class, and I had to go be in charge of Olivia's sunbeam class.

So, sitting in sharing time. I had to get up a few times to put little kids back in their seats or in time-out. Every time I set Finn down to take care of others, Finn cried loudly. I tried to give him food to help calm him down but he just threw it everywhere.

Once class started a member of the presidency took Finn for the first half of class while we started a quick snack and started bathroom visits. (These are new sunbeams, remember.) The kids took a long time with bathroom breaks. Another member of the presidency helped with the ones who had disappeared in the bathroom. I was about to start a lesson when Finn, sitting on my lap now, peed right through the diaper onto my lap. Lovely. Used wipes to clean that up as best as I could, then changed Finn’s diaper. One little boy pushed another out of his chair, who bumped his head and cried. The third member of the presidency took the crying one away to help him.

I realized I only had 10 minutes left so I jumped into a lesson. We drew pictures of sun, moon, and stars and then pulled objects out of a bag and decided if we used that object in the daytime or nighttime. Thank goodness I had prepared hands-on things because these kids were not sitting still today and I was too frazzled to do anything nice about it. Class over (thank goodness)!

Later at home, Olivia peed on the carpet. While I was cleaning that up, Finn pushed a chair to the counter and used a wrench to eat peanut butter out of the jar. Izzy ate the rest of our tortillas that were left out.

I decided to put a movie on and take a nap. I needed the rest.

1 comment:

Karla said...

Wow, I don't know if I should laugh or cry for you. Aren't you glad that day is over? :)